Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Life in the Cliched Lane

There aren't many days that go by without having at least one LA stereotype thrust at me, and today's no exception as I innocently turned on the radio for an hour and caught the new Eagles of Death Metal single, "Wannabe in LA." Here's the video, which is visually kind of cool:



But what the heck are the Eagles going on about? I can't find the lyrics online yet, but he repeats "I came to LA to make rock and roll / Along the way I had to sell my soul." Have the Eagles of Death Metal ever actually seen the Eagles of Death Metal? Singer Jesse Hughes tours around the world looking like a trucker Freddy Mercury and playing what Josh Homme calls "bluegrass slide guitar mixed with stripper drum beats and Canned Heat vocals." That's what passes for selling your soul these days? Sounds like he's doing exactly what he wants to do. Oh wait... you're supposed to say that if you're talking about Los Angeles.

You know what is an egregious sin in the music world though? Being unoriginal:



I'm just sayin'.

No comments: